Friday, April 17, 2009

A Card Game Called Five Hundred

What sort of person puts a game together with such an unexciting name. I always liked the card game named after Hearts, or Cribbage, or maybe Canasta, but not 500. Let me tell you that when all is said and done. I think it has a few too many things to remember.

Last night we went out to some friends and the guys, and a few gals played poker, the leftovers played 500. I came from a card playing family and I never liked playing cards that sounded a little stuffy.

John, you know the guy that has learned to live with me... gave me a few lessons in 500. The one thing that struck me was Jacks being Bauer's. Left, right, what are they thinking. Anyway, I had a little problem remembering that Jack thing and often put my partner in a total respiratory attack. I couldn't believe the look when I played wrong. But to their defense, they had been playing for years and when I came in that was the end of what was expected to happen. The great part was no one got testy.

The moral of this story is that if you play cards badly, play with good people. I wonder if they will ever have the courage to invite me again. But for me there were lots of laughs, maybe because of my playing but for a little while, we just had fun.

7 comments:

  1. I guess I am about the worst card player ever! I can never remember which rules go with what game and end up feeling even more foolish than I probably look. Thank goodness, I always did play cards with good people. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Polly,

    You might havent seen me playing cards. If so, you would not have considered you as the the worst, you will surely promote yourself to second worst :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I love playing cards as well, but its hard to find anyone to play cards with. Have a great week Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know!! I hate playing cards with super competitive people who get all bent out of shape if their partner doesn't score or makes a mistake.
    For God's sake, people..it is JUST a card game!!
    ha

    The Retirement Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get to visit all my girlfriend soon and we all equally STINK at cards and laugh hysterically as we play! Yeah if people are hard core I can't even think straight...well, not that I can anyway...

    My Jacks are now totally Bauers. That is awesome.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Will be visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete