Sunday, June 27, 2010

Who's idea was Boiled Peanuts?

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. They are wet. They are hot. And they are kinda ugly. Coming home from our day trip I talked John into stopping at a produce stand that claimed they sold boiled peanuts. It was to much for me to pass up, we stopped. What surprised me was that the gal was cooking them as we stood sweating from the heat.

Where they crazy or what? These boiled peanuts must be out of this world for someone to cook them in 97 degree heat and eat them warm. So, with a determined voice I said, boiled peanuts please. As she handed me the hot peanuts, and John handed her the three dollars, I wondered what made me do this. Curiosity killed the cat. I think eating these might be mine.

As I set them down on the floor of the car, under my feet I could feel the heat. Really, they eat these. It was time. If I was to buy them I would at least try them. And guess what? They are salty, soggy, peanuts. Not bad, but not sure why? I guess that will have to stay a mystery.

As for today, my peanuts are resting comfortable in the fridge waiting for me. The jury is still out on who is going to eat them.

Happy Sunday and God Bless
Carol

4 comments:

  1. I was reading about them and found that the process of boiling the paenuts in salt is a way of preserving them. This tradition is definitely Southern and alot of the cooking traditions date back to the Civil War. It seems to me that if you boil a green peanut it wouldnt take as long from planting to eating as it would to let them naturally get "ripe", kbut I am not from the south and I dont grow peanuts so im just guessing here. My ex- husbamd loves salted peanuts in his coke. I tried it but its not my fave. I quit using salt about 4 years ago when I found out I had high blood pressure. I still eat foods that are salted but I try to stay away from heavily salted foods. Southerners have their traditions, that is the bottom line here, lol. Thanks for the post, Suzie Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing. I might have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummmmm....This does not seem right to me, but I know some people love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "regular" peanuts, but I'm like you, in that I can't figure out the boiled bit!

    ReplyDelete