Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is a crazy quilt?

This is also a post I did a year ago. But when I think of my crazy quilts I have left and how Mom loved us, the crazy quilt gives the most loving thoughts. I know that many of you don't know what a crazy quilt looks like. The picture below is how random each 12 x 12 block can look.

It's called a crazy quilt. Mom used these scraps of fabric left over from the clothes she sewed for us. With loving fingers she placed them on a 12"x 12" piece of white cotton which often came from a sheet that had served it purpose. From a box under the sewing table she would work her design from the colored scraps she had placed there bit by bit over the year. This was not a piece of artwork, rather a way to keep us warm over the long winter nights in Minnesota.

I never saw her do it, or ask her about the work it took to make one. She never ask for my opinion or require praise. I knew that I would be tucked into bed with one of those quilts. Gently placed over me and tucked in under the mattress. I would spend time before I fell asleep touching the fabric pieces and trying to figure out who I saw wear the outfit in which the bulk of the fabric was used.

I don't know why, but a quilt whether it was a crazy quilt or one of her patterned quilts, it always felt warmer than a blanket. I know that the love she put into the quilt often remained there waiting for me or someone to crawl under and feel her love. Now that she has gone home to her Father, I find myself realizing how secure it felt to have the quilt over me. But mostly how blessed I was to have HER as my mother.

Mothers are truly God sent.

Carol

4 comments:

  1. My husbands grandma just kept her kids clothes all these years and then makes a quilt for each one of her grand kids out of them for when they graduate high school. So they are so special to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has a quilt made by her great great grandmother. Made with pieces of shirts, baby blankets, etc. It is a cherished heirloom. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carol. Yes, Mothers are God sent. Sounds like your Mother was truly a blessing. Enjoy the week and thanks for always stopping by to make me smile!!
    Hugs,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother too was dedicated to rewarding my father for his long hours in the fields, and the three boys for not being in the way too much.

    I have a little catching up to do, but I have enjoyed your May posts. I am calling in on all my Hi it's only me friends because I am going to try to keep posting heresssssssssssszs, sorry, not a typo, but Socs the little cat jumping up to see her mum on the desk (Via the keyboard) The cats report more often on Dr Awsom. We cannot explain each other, but I would be grateful for your feedback on my Sunday 'poem' Go well, be happy, Bob

    ReplyDelete